default avatar
Welcome to the site! Login or Signup below.
|
||
Logout|My Dashboard

Hockey travels to Pittsburgh for Three Rivers Classic

Print
Font Size:
Default font size
Larger font size

Posted: Tuesday, December 17, 2013 11:38 pm

The Falcons ice hockey team will have the week off before playing in the Three Rivers Classic on Dec. 27-28.

The tournament will be played at the CONSOL Energy Center in Pittsburgh. Boston College, Penn State University and Robert Morris University will also be in the two-day tournament.

On Dec. 27, Boston College will face BG at 4:30 p.m. and Penn State will face Robert Morris at 7:30 p.m.

The weekend competition will be the first non-conference games for the Falcons since playing Ohio State on Oct. 29.

The consolation and championship games will be played Saturday, Dec. 28 at 4:30 p.m. and 7:30 p.m.

BG has an overall record of 8-8-4 and 6-6-2 in conference play.

Boston College has an overall record of 10-4-2 and has a 6-1-1 conference record.

Boston College is led by its head coach Jerry York, who was the head coach for BG during their 1984 NCAA championship season. He has more than 900 wins as a head coach during his career and has won four NCAA championships with Boston College including a 2012 championship.

Robert Morris won the inaugural Three Rivers Classic tournament title this past year, defeating Miami (OH) in the championship game. The Colonials have an overall record of 2-10-2 and are winless on the road this season.

Penn State skates into the series with a 3-9-1 overall record and are 0-2-0 in conference play. They beat tournament opponent Robert Morris 5-4 on Nov. 1.

BG is coming off a 4-4 tie in overtime this past Saturday night against Michigan Tech. The Falcons erased a two-goal deficit in the final three minutes of the third period in the WCHA weekend finale. BG received goals from skaters Mark Cooper, Dajon Mingo, Ben Murphy and Bryce Williamson in the tying effort. Sophomore goaltender Tommy Burke made a career high 43 saves.

The Falcons went 1 for 3 on the power play and 2 for 4 on the penalty kill. With the tie, the Falcons earned three of a possible four points on the weekend. The Falcons scored a total of seven goals this past weekend at the John MacInnes Student Ice Arena against Michigan Tech.

More about

More about

More about

• Discuss

Rules of Conduct

• 1 Keep it Clean. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd, racist or sexually-oriented language.
  • 2 Don't Threaten or Abuse. Threats of harming another person will not be tolerated. AND PLEASE TURN OFF CAPS LOCK.
  • 3 Be Truthful. Don't knowingly lie about anyone or anything.
  • 4 Be Nice. No racism, sexism or any sort of -ism that is degrading to another person.
  • 5 Be Proactive. Use the 'Report' link on each comment to let us know of abusive posts.
  • 6 Share with Us. We'd love to hear eyewitness accounts, the history behind an article.

Welcome to the discussion.

Martin Luther King Jr. Day of Service at BGSU

Students discuss their March Madness brackets
Freshman Ted Pletsch

Freshman Ted Pletsch talk to us about his and the teams overall performance versus No. 8 Notre Dame.

Coach Chris Bergeron

Coach Bergeron talks to us about the teams progress and goaltender Andrew Hammond after BG's 2-1 ...

Featured Graphic