default avatar
Welcome to the site! Login or Signup below.
|
||
Logout|My Dashboard

Falcons win weekend series against Michigan Tech

Print
Font Size:
Default font size
Larger font size

Posted: Sunday, March 16, 2014 11:26 pm

BG hockey swept Michigan Tech in the first round of the Western Collegiate Hockey Association playoffs at the BG Ice Arena to advance to the WCHA Final Five.

Friday night, the Falcons defeated the Michigan Tech Huskies 2-1 in the WCHA Quarterfinal Opening game. Senior Bryce Williamson and junior Ryan Carpenter scored for the Falcons. Goaltender Tommy Burke made 24 saves to earn the win.

“Our defense played well,” BG head coach Chris Bergeron said. “They kept the game simple. They brought the puck out the way they were supposed to.”

Burke, a sophomore goaltender, stopped all 13 shots he faced in the last two periods to keep the game at 2-1.

“When we were rolling right after the first of the year, that’s probably the best we’ve played defensively. Tonight, it was the same level,” Burke said. “Our forwards and defense played really well defensively.”

On Saturday night, BG won 5-2 to finish off a sweep against Michigan Tech. Carpenter, Adam Berkle, Marcus Perrier and Matt Pohlkamp scored goals for the Falcons. Burke made 28 saves in the playoff series clinching the win.

The Falcons were led by Carpenter’s career high of four points which included one goal and three assists, and a career-high two goals from Adam Berkle. BG started off with a 3-0 lead and was able to hold off a late run by Michigan Tech.

“We played well,” Bergeron said. “We got a couple lucky bounces, but we deserved those bounces. We played hard against a really good team. All in all, from start to finish, it was a pretty good game.”

Berkle sealed the win for BG with an empty net goal and his second goal of the night with 94 seconds left in regulation.

The loss ends Michigan Tech’s season, as the Huskies finish with a 14-19-7 record on the year.

With the playoff series win, BG improves to 18-14-6 and has won a league playoff series for the fourth straight year. This is the first time the Falcons have swept a playoff series during that stretch.

BG will advance to the WCHA Final Five at Van Andel Arena in Grand Rapids, Mich., on March 21 and 22. The Falcons will face Minnesota State in the WCHA semifinal round Friday at 2:07 p.m. The winner will advance to the WCHA Championship Game to face the winner of the other semifinal game between Alaska-Anchorage and Ferris State.

More about

More about

• Discuss

Rules of Conduct

• 1 Keep it Clean. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd, racist or sexually-oriented language.
  • 2 Don't Threaten or Abuse. Threats of harming another person will not be tolerated. AND PLEASE TURN OFF CAPS LOCK.
  • 3 Be Truthful. Don't knowingly lie about anyone or anything.
  • 4 Be Nice. No racism, sexism or any sort of -ism that is degrading to another person.
  • 5 Be Proactive. Use the 'Report' link on each comment to let us know of abusive posts.
  • 6 Share with Us. We'd love to hear eyewitness accounts, the history behind an article.

Welcome to the discussion.

Martin Luther King Jr. Day of Service at BGSU

Students discuss their March Madness brackets
Freshman Ted Pletsch

Freshman Ted Pletsch talk to us about his and the teams overall performance versus No. 8 Notre Dame.

Coach Chris Bergeron

Coach Bergeron talks to us about the teams progress and goaltender Andrew Hammond after BG's 2-1 ...

A week in review: Week of Feb. 7