default avatar
Welcome to the site! Login or Signup below.
|
||
Logout|My Dashboard

Obama defeats Republican Challenger Mitt Romney, winning Ohio, Wood County again

Print
Font Size:
Default font size
Larger font size

Posted: Wednesday, November 7, 2012 2:17 am

The people have spoken. Four more years.

Incumbent President Barack Obama defeated Republican challenger Mitt Romney, securing at least 300 electoral votes on an election day that marks the end of a long, hard-fought presidential campaign.

Obama won the state of Ohio, a crucial swing state heavily campaigned by both candidates during this election.

The incumbent also picked up numerous other swing states that brought him to a victory, including Iowa, Pennsylvania and Wisconsin.

Before he even made a victory speech, Obama addressed his supporters on Twitter.

“We’re all in this together. That’s how we campaigned, and that’s who we are,” Obama personally tweeted.

Wood County continued its string of correctly predicting the presidential winner, with Obama winning nearly 51 percent of the vote. Obama also won Wood County in the 2008 elections.

Sophomore Morgan Holliger, secretary of College Democrats and a political science major, said a strong grassroots campaign helped contribute to Obama’s success at the University and Wood County area.

With nearly 98 percent of Wood County precincts reporting in Tuesday night as of 1:00 a.m., Obama led by just more than 2,000 votes over Romney, according to the Wood County Board of Elections.

“We have had awesome students with the Obama campaign,” Holliger said. “We have a great base of supporters.”

Democratic First Ward Council Member Daniel Gordon said the Democrats had an advantage this election due to the strong political presence on campus.

“There has never been a more efficient and powerful ground game in American politics,” Gordon said.

Gordon, who volunteered for Obama’s campaign in 2008, said this election’s efforts were successful due to the large numbers of student registrations and long lines to vote on campus.

Each state is designated an amount of electoral college votes proportional to its populations. While trailing in the popular vote, Obama continued to build his lead, winning large-count states of California, Illinois and New York.

Despite a losing effort, Students for Romney President Mandy Wise said the group would dissolve into College Republicans but would be further motivated to continue fighting.

“People say ‘thanks for what you’re doing,’” Wise said.

President Obama will serve out the remainder of his term into 2013 and will be sworn in for his second presidential term on Jan. 20, 2013.

For now, Obama supporters like Gordon may revel in the moment, enjoying the fruits of a months-long campaign which has seen Bowling Green visits from President Obama and Mitt Romney this year.

“I think this is a win for the American people, and I’m very proud of all the young people who poured their hearts out into this,” Gordon said.

Holliger said the victory marks a continued growth in the Democratic movement.

“We won Wood County, we won Ohio,” she said. “Everyone’s vote at Bowling Green mattered ... it definitely mattered.”

More about

More about

• Discuss

Rules of Conduct

• 1 Keep it Clean. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd, racist or sexually-oriented language.
  • 2 Don't Threaten or Abuse. Threats of harming another person will not be tolerated. AND PLEASE TURN OFF CAPS LOCK.
  • 3 Be Truthful. Don't knowingly lie about anyone or anything.
  • 4 Be Nice. No racism, sexism or any sort of -ism that is degrading to another person.
  • 5 Be Proactive. Use the 'Report' link on each comment to let us know of abusive posts.
  • 6 Share with Us. We'd love to hear eyewitness accounts, the history behind an article.

Welcome to the discussion.

1 comment:

• rosea posted at 8:45 am on Sun, Nov 11, 2012.

rosea Posts: 0

[smile]

Feature Graphic 2.0