default avatar
Welcome to the site! Login or Signup below.
|
||
Logout|My Dashboard

University chooses Canvas for its cost, ‘flexibility’

Print
Font Size:
Default font size
Larger font size

Posted: Wednesday, March 13, 2013 12:33 am

When it came time for the University to leave Blackboard in chalk dust, one program emerged as a cheaper and more “open” option for students and faculty.

Canvas, an “open source” program created by a company called Instructure, is set to replace Blackboard in spring 2014. Canvas allows for more flexibility with its user interface and tools due to its “open source” format, said John Ellinger, chief information officer for the University.

“It’s just more accessible,” Ellinger said.

The University started looking to reoutsource its online class system after Blackboard became outdated by two versions.

“In order to do two versions of an upgrade, you can’t jump and do one big one,” Ellinger said. “I said to myself, ‘why go through that process and if I’m going to, why not take the time to look at other things?’”

Ellinger decided to look into other programs rather than create an in-house program because of the cost, timeline and limited developments that tend to accompany the construction of such in house programs.

“It’s just not done anymore,” Ellinger said.

In switching to Canvas, the University will also save approximately $73,000, Ellinger said.

Programs like Canvas offer a larger community for developments of tools and parts of the program, Ellinger said.

“Instructure is literally a community of lists of development,” he said.

After investigating the options and running a test trial of Canvas for students and faculty, Ellinger moved forward with implementing Canvas during the 2011-2012 school year. One of the options he looked into was Desired Learn used at Ohio State University, but it was cut from the options due to high costs.

While Blackboard is still available for use, Canvas Specialist James Tyree is noticing more faculty starting to use the program because of its features and technology.

“It’s just mind-blowing,” Tyree said. “The feedback we’re getting is fantastic.”

Tyree is part of a team that offers multiple Canvas informational sessions each week to prepare for the eventual shift from Blackboard.

Although Tyree has noticed more faculty are using online teaching platforms, student usage is lower than desired and has even been as low as 27 percent of students in past years, Ellinger said. Other schools, such as Kent State University and Ohio University, typically see approximately 70 to 80 percent of their students using online learning platforms.

Ellinger wants to increase usage of Canvas by students such as Logan Richardson.

A freshman, Richardson came into the University using both Canvas and Blackboard.

“It was a little hectic at first but after a while you start to realize how much easier it is to do everything on Canvas,” Richardson said. “It’s definitely worth it.”

While Richardson touts some of Canvas’s features including its grade calculator and messaging system, the University is still taking suggestions for how to improve Canvas, Ellinger said.

Canvas is updated every three weeks, whereas Blackboard only had the opportunity to update every few months.

“No piece of software is perfect but we’ll keep the pressure on [Instructure],” Ellinger said. “We’ll keep working on it.”

More about

More about

• Discuss

Rules of Conduct

• 1 Keep it Clean. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd, racist or sexually-oriented language.
  • 2 Don't Threaten or Abuse. Threats of harming another person will not be tolerated. AND PLEASE TURN OFF CAPS LOCK.
  • 3 Be Truthful. Don't knowingly lie about anyone or anything.
  • 4 Be Nice. No racism, sexism or any sort of -ism that is degrading to another person.
  • 5 Be Proactive. Use the 'Report' link on each comment to let us know of abusive posts.
  • 6 Share with Us. We'd love to hear eyewitness accounts, the history behind an article.

Welcome to the discussion.

1 comment:

• Rhegan posted at 1:56 pm on Wed, Mar 13, 2013.

Rhegan Posts: 0

Student usage has nothing to do with how good or bad the platform is. If instructors require students to use it in the course, it'll get used. If instructors don't require it, it won't get used. The problem at BG is with getting instructors to embrace learning systems. And those type of problems are almost always due to administration shortcomings -- whether it's providing proper incentives, providing proper training to instructors, or simply making it a requirement for classes. At some universities, they require all instructors to put their syllabus and basic course information into the learning system. This forces instructors into the system, and quickly results in very high usage by students.

Buying a shiny new version of the learning system isn't going to solve these systemic problems.

Feature Graphic 2.0