default avatar
Welcome to the site! Login or Signup below.
|
||
Logout|My Dashboard

City council introduces distracted driving ordinance

Print
Font Size:
Default font size
Larger font size

Posted: Monday, July 16, 2012 9:34 pm | Updated: 6:14 pm, Tue Jul 24, 2012.

City council introduced legislation tonight that expands upon the recent state texting while driving ban.

However, it was not met without opposition from community members.

The ordinance would ban any type of distraction that took the operator’s full attention away from driving.

During the lobby visitations, University sophomore Daniel Johnson opposed the legislation and said its vague terms made distracted driving hard to define. He also said that it could distract the driver even more.

If a person is driving and eating a cheeseburger, they are paying attention to those two things, he said.

When they see a police officer, now they have their attention divided between driving, setting down the burger and the police.

“You’re also putting a burden on the police to determine what is distracted,” Johnson said.

First Ward council member Daniel Gordon said when he first saw the language of the legislation, he could relate to Johnson.

“I shared the same concerns … and while this is a new law for Bowling Green, it is not new to the other cities of Ohio,” Gordon said. “The law has been in the books since the 1950’s.”

Community member Nathan Eberly also addressed his concerns about the ordinance.

“It’s a preemptive traffic stop for something as basic as holding a cell phone … it adds risk for people because now they have to hide what they are doing,” Eberly said.

While both Eberly and Johnson were opposed to the vague language, council initially viewed the legislation as a proactive measure to prevent future accidents.

At-large council member Robert McOmber asked, if someone is engaging in activity that’s 50 times more likely to cause an accident, shouldn’t the officer be able to stop them?

If the driver isn’t doing anything to cause an accident while distracted, they shouldn’t be pulled over until they do something that may lead to one like crossing over marked lines, Eberly said.

Council reminded the two that it would be up to the officer’s discretion but if there were any abuse of the ordinance, it would be checked by the court as they discussed a public hearing on June 18.

The legislation needs two more readings before council before it gets voted on.

More about

More about

More about

• Discuss

Rules of Conduct

• 1 Keep it Clean. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd, racist or sexually-oriented language.
  • 2 Don't Threaten or Abuse. Threats of harming another person will not be tolerated. AND PLEASE TURN OFF CAPS LOCK.
  • 3 Be Truthful. Don't knowingly lie about anyone or anything.
  • 4 Be Nice. No racism, sexism or any sort of -ism that is degrading to another person.
  • 5 Be Proactive. Use the 'Report' link on each comment to let us know of abusive posts.
  • 6 Share with Us. We'd love to hear eyewitness accounts, the history behind an article.

Welcome to the discussion.

2 comments:

• Ryliwa posted at 5:35 am on Fri, Jul 20, 2012.

Ryliwa Posts: 0

A driver needs focus attention in driving his vehicle. Lawmakers and law enforcement personnel have been stepping up efforts to stop distracted driving recently, particularly since the increase of personal cellular phones. However, some say such legislative crackdowns are nothing brand new, and may do more harm than good. (auto loans credit)

• neberly posted at 8:49 am on Tue, Jul 17, 2012.

neberly Posts: 8

There has been community opposition. There was a letter to the editor, as well as direct conversations with council in many forums.

It is a shame that in committee hearings, the opposition was not heard. However, in 2009, Bowling Green did vote against a ban on using cell phones in cars. The community therefore is against such broad and vague language that could include use of cell phones in cars.

More opposition will be present as this continues, and I hope that council votes no to the legislation.

Follow us on Facebook