default avatar
Welcome to the site! Login or Signup below.
|
||
Logout|My Dashboard

Supporters of popular culture building gather

Print
Font Size:
Default font size
Larger font size

Posted: Tuesday, July 31, 2012 7:13 pm | Updated: 10:08 pm, Thu Aug 16, 2012.

Protesters against the demolition of the popular culture building met outside the building today at 5:30 p.m.

Holding signs and chanting “save this house,” department instructors, students and community members showed their support for the program and their disagreement with the University’s decision to demolish the house.

“[The decision] was hasty,” said Dan Shoemaker, popular culture instructor. “We were informed less than two weeks ago we had to move out.”

The people involved in the program and beyond were not notified in advance of the decision, he said.

“We were not consulted. Faculty senate wasn’t consulted,” he said. “Given the public outcry, I would hope that the administration would pause to reconsider before so hastily doing this drastic and irreversible action.”

Tiffany Knoell, a graduate student in the popular culture department, brought her daughter to the protest and said she believes the University will continue on with the demolition process.

“They did this at this time to generate minimum attention,” she said. “This is damaging to the University as we’re supposed to be an open forum. We’re supposed to be an educated community.”

One of the protest organizers and University alumna Erin Holmberg addressed the crowd of more than forty people.

“I have a lot of great memories inside this house,” she said. “I hope President Mazey saves this house.”

Another organizer, Ray Schuck, also spoke to the crowd of his hope for the house’s future.

“This isn’t over,” he said. “We still have hope.”

More about

More about

More about

• Discuss

Rules of Conduct

• 1 Keep it Clean. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd, racist or sexually-oriented language.
  • 2 Don't Threaten or Abuse. Threats of harming another person will not be tolerated. AND PLEASE TURN OFF CAPS LOCK.
  • 3 Be Truthful. Don't knowingly lie about anyone or anything.
  • 4 Be Nice. No racism, sexism or any sort of -ism that is degrading to another person.
  • 5 Be Proactive. Use the 'Report' link on each comment to let us know of abusive posts.
  • 6 Share with Us. We'd love to hear eyewitness accounts, the history behind an article.

Welcome to the discussion.

Follow us on Facebook