default avatar
Welcome to the site! Login or Signup below.
Logout|My Dashboard

Student groups sell, deliver flowers for cancer benefit

Font Size:
Default font size
Larger font size

Posted: Monday, March 18, 2013 10:21 pm

The meaning of a daffodil flower is hope, and that’s just what several groups at the University plan for in contributing to defeating cancer.

The American Cancer Society teamed up with Civic Action Leaders and Colleges Against Cancer, two student community service organizations, to host the annual program known as “Daffodil Days.” The program is part of a three month campaign, ranging from January and ending later this month, selling daffodils to be delivered to other people.

The money raised is donated to The American Cancer Society for cures of the disease.

Members of the Civic Action Leaders hosted a table in the Union where people could buy daffodils, teddy bears and vases, raising more than $150 Monday.

Madison Georgoff, a member of Civic Action Leaders, said there are many people at the University who can make a connection with cancer, whether they have had a relative who suffered from the disease or have been impacted in some other way.

“The program is for a great cause,” Georgoff said. “I have personal connections to people who were affected by cancer; we just want people to support the foundation.”

The University has helped publicize “Daffodil Days” for many years, including last year, when 176 orders of the flower were made, said Bonnie Blankinship, communications manager in the department of marketing and communications.

“There have been a lot of people at the University who have either been touched by cancer or involved in one way or another,” Blankinship said. “This program is a way for spreading hope and it’s a happy way to do it.”

Colleges Against Cancer helped deliver the orders of flowers to people on campus. Christa Purdy, president of the University’s chapter of Colleges Against Cancer, said the student organization promotes “Daffodil Days” every year.

“We’ve gotten many more orders of flowers this year compared to past years,” Purdy said. “If it’s a place anywhere on campus, then our volunteers will deliver the flowers to that area.”

This year marks the 40th anniversary the American Cancer Society has hosted the “Daffodil Days” campaign and the University wouldn’t be able to contribute as smoothly without the help of students, Blankinship said.

“We have to thank Civic Action Leaders and Colleges Against Cancer for bringing this program to campus,” Blankinship said. “We couldn’t do it without the student support and for selling the flowers and raising the money.”

More about

More about

• Discuss

Rules of Conduct

• 1 Keep it Clean. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd, racist or sexually-oriented language.
  • 2 Don't Threaten or Abuse. Threats of harming another person will not be tolerated. AND PLEASE TURN OFF CAPS LOCK.
  • 3 Be Truthful. Don't knowingly lie about anyone or anything.
  • 4 Be Nice. No racism, sexism or any sort of -ism that is degrading to another person.
  • 5 Be Proactive. Use the 'Report' link on each comment to let us know of abusive posts.
  • 6 Share with Us. We'd love to hear eyewitness accounts, the history behind an article.

Welcome to the discussion.

Follow us on Facebook