default avatar
Welcome to the site! Login or Signup below.
Logout|My Dashboard

Obama wins big among women, young voters

Font Size:
Default font size
Larger font size

Posted: Friday, November 9, 2012 12:34 am

President Barack Obama won re-election Tuesday night against Republican nominee Mitt Romney. With Florida decided on Thursday in favor of Obama, the president led the final electoral college votes 332 to Romney’s 206. Though it was considered a “landslide” electorally as the winner needs only 270, Obama won the popular vote as well. As of Thursday night, the latest count finds Obama at 60.9 million total votes and Romney with 58 million, according to Here’s five reasons Obama won, judging by exit polling data of Tuesday’s voters by CNN and Fox News:

1. Changing Demographic— America’s voting demographics are shifting, according to 2012 election exit polls. African-Americans accounted for 13 percent of votes cast in 2012 compared to just nine percent in 2008. Similarly, Latinos were 10 percent of the vote in 2012 compared to nine percent four years ago, according to CNN.

The result? Obama won 93 percent of the African-American vote and 71 percent of Latino votes in 2012.

2. Gender Gap— For the second straight presidential election, Obama and Democrats dominated the women vote. Women are 53 percent of total voters according to both CNN and Fox News exit polls.

The result? Obama lost to Romney among male voters, but more than made up for it with a 55 to 44 percent lead among women.

3. Swing states— Prior to Tuesday’s election, CNN listed eight possible battleground states which would “swing” the election: Ohio, Nev., Colo., Fla., Iowa, Wis., N.H. and Va. Obama won every single one of these states.

The result? Those states accounted for 95 electoral votes.

4. Social media presence— Before making his victory speech Tuesday night, Obama thanked supporters via e-mail and Twitter. Obama’s campaign made his online presence a key focus this election, interacting with voters and drawing support.

The result? Obama — 33 million Facebook likes, 23 million Twitter followers. Romney — 12 million Facebook likes, 1.8 million Twitter followers.

5. Young voters— CNN and Fox News found that voters aged 18-29 accounted for nearly a fifth of the total vote. Obama’s campaign targeted college voters extensively. In Ohio alone this year, Obama and vice presidential candidate Joe Biden visited Bowling Green, University of Toledo, University of Cincinnati, Ohio State University, Kent State University and others.

The result? Obama won the 18 to 29 age vote handedly, 60 to 37 percent against Romney.

More about

More about

More about

• Discuss

Rules of Conduct

• 1 Keep it Clean. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd, racist or sexually-oriented language.
  • 2 Don't Threaten or Abuse. Threats of harming another person will not be tolerated. AND PLEASE TURN OFF CAPS LOCK.
  • 3 Be Truthful. Don't knowingly lie about anyone or anything.
  • 4 Be Nice. No racism, sexism or any sort of -ism that is degrading to another person.
  • 5 Be Proactive. Use the 'Report' link on each comment to let us know of abusive posts.
  • 6 Share with Us. We'd love to hear eyewitness accounts, the history behind an article.

Welcome to the discussion.

Follow us on Facebook